2014年5月28日水曜日

CALL Literary Reaction Journal 2

Reaction to My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun

I. Summary


The poem written by William Shakespeare.I think the poem is lyric poetry because the poem was writing about his mistress.The first two quatrains compare the speaker's mistress to aspects of nature,such as snow or coral;each comparison ending unflatteringly for the mistress.


II. Reaction

1. Imagery
The four colors that Shakespeare uses to describe his mistress is red,white,dun,and black.All of these colors have symbolism that show he loves her.

2. Rhythm
The first twelve lines rhyme in alternating pairs.A If hairs be wires,black wires grow on her head.B So, for the whole poem,the rhyme scheme would be ABABCDCDEFEFGG.

3. Metaphor
The first two lines begin with similes that use contrasts to describe his mistress's appearance.Her “eyes are nothing like the sun” and coral is redder than her lip color.Then metaphors come into play.The first contrasts her dun colored breasts to white snow, and the next one compares her hair to black wires.

4. General opinion
The poem is written by William Shakespeare about the love towards an imperfect woman.He explains that although his mistress is imperfect, he finds his love special and "rare."The theme of this poem is to reflect and understand true love.

5 件のコメント:

  1. I think your comments on imagery, rhythm and metaphor are well thought out and perceptive. You make sense and understand what imagery, rhythm and metaphor are. Nice work!

    返信削除
  2. Hello Yuna. I read your comment. I think your comment is good. Thank you!

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Thank you for your comment.Please read the poem.

      削除
  3. Yikes! I just reread this post for LRJ 2. It's very well written. I'm impressed with your insight as well as your command of written academic English.

    返信削除
  4. I read your LRJ2!
    I think that your thought is very nice!

    返信削除